keep potted plants over winter

Asked November 21, 2019, 10:27 AM EST

I bought some forsythia bushes at a fall sale. I am not able to plant them. How can I can keep them alive over winter. Can they come inside ? Can I keep them outside in plastic boxes . don't want to loose them, but can't really plant them. Thank You.

Adams County Pennsylvania

Thank you for your question. Believe me, many other gardeners still have plants in containers for various reasons. It is possible to keep your forsythia alive in winter. Here are three options:
1. Store them in an unheated garage, shed, or basement with a temperature range of between 30 and 40 degrees. Water periodically when the temp. is above 40 degrees.
2. Dig your plants in their containers into the soil. Sink them until they are sitting at the same level as the surrounding ground.
3. Group them together in a protected area out of strong winds and intense sunlight. Protect them with straw, leaves, or bark mulch. Continue watering until the soil freezes.
Whichever option you choose, come spring enjoy your beautiful forsythia blooms.