Asparagus Fern

I have this plant which I was told is and Asparagus Fern. I have to bring it in for the winter but it sheds a lot when it is in the house. Can I cut it back so it doesn't hand all over? It also has there little green berries that have grown on it. What does that mean? IMG_1444.JPG IMG_1445.JPG

Washington County Minnesota

Many kinds of plants shed leaves when they are brought indoors after spending the summer outside. Folks at the University of Wisconsin say this about asparagus ferns indoors, "the foliage will yellow and drop if the soil is too dry or there isn’t enough light. Old or yellowed stems should be cut out at the base and the ends of stems can be trimmed back to keep the plant shaped."

The berries indicate that the plant is vigorous enough to bear fruit. It does look very healthy.

If your asparagus fern drops enough foliage to begin looking untidy, late winter or early spring is a good time to prune it more heavily and give it a fresh start.

Go here to learn more about your plant and how to care for it.