Question about botulism

Asked November 13, 2019, 9:21 PM EST

I recently made jalapeno jelly. The recipe consisted of apple cider vinegar and lots of sugar. I have now stumbled across "botulism" and I'm scared to death to eat my own jelly! Should I eat it or throw it away?

Texas

3 Responses

Botulism can be a problem when low acid foods (vegetables, meats, and seafood) are not processed (canned) properly. Jellies are classified as high acid foods so botulism is not as much of a concern compared to the low acid foods. if you followed a tested recipe and processed the jelly in a boiling water bath canner, it should be safe.

Considering jalapenos are low acid, by adding the apple cider vinegar that boosts the overall acidity which makes it "safer", correct me if I'm wrong. I was also wondering how to properly store the jelly?

Jellies are typically not at risk for botulism because they are so acidic (botulism likes to live in environments with pH levels that are higher than 4.6). The best way to store the jelly (if you want it shelf-stable) is by processing it in a water bath canner for the time noted on the recipe. Otherwise, store in the refrigerator and use within 3 weeks to a month. Just watch for mold and other signs of spoilage if you don't process it in a water bath canner.