Amaryllis in dormancy

Asked November 13, 2019, 7:08 AM EST

I received some bulbs last October. It was planted and bloomed. For the last 6 months (or more), the green blades have been cared for. Only recently, the green became limp. I've dug it up and cleaned it.
I've always assumed it needs some dormancy before starting again. My plan was to store it in a burlap bag in Peat.

Now, I've read an article in HortMag that says I should replant in a shallow dish and keep moist; transplant it at some point.
So, which makes more sense? If burlap/peat storage is on track, how long to store before I replant?

Montgomery County Maryland

Amaryllis does not have to go dormant entirely in order to rebloom, however the way we care for them often puts them into dormancy.

If the green leaves on your outdoor amaryllis went limp, it may have been caused by drought or a hard freeze. If the bulbs are not rotting, they did not freeze, which is good.

We don't recommend keeping them in the bag and peat, as this dries out the bulb unnaturally. Yes, replant it in a pot. They are surprisingly flexible bulbs. You can keep it in a cool and dark location, let it be dormant for a while and then water and put in a warmer, sunnier location when you see new green growth or when you want it to start growing again. (Never let soil entirely dry out.)

Or you can just keep it green year round.

Either way, be sure to fertilize. If you let it go dormant and start it up after the winter holidays, it will bloom in early spring around the spring holidays like Valentine's Day or Easter. It can be a good time when no much else is blooming.

You do not have to force dormancy and keep it in total darkness unless you want to closely control bloom time.

Here is our page on amaryllis options: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/amaryllis-care

Ellen