Traditional Pressure Cooker/Canner vs Smart Pressure Cooker/Canner

Hello. I am new to canning, and in the process of purchasing tools to pressure can. I would prefer to purchase a vessel that can multi-function. So, I am considering either the Granite Ware 20 quart Anodized Aluminum Pressure Cooker/Canner/Steamer or the Nesco 9.5 quart Stainless Steel (with an aluminum insert for canning) NPC-9 Smart Pressure Canner and Cooker. I had read that NCHFP warned against use of an electric pressure cooker for pressure canning. However, this smart device seems different. Are these vessels (Granite Ware and Nesco) safe for pressure cooking, pressure canning and water bath canning? Which would you recommend? Thank you. ~ Yolanda

Franklin County Ohio home food preservation

Yolanda,
Thank you for your question. I cannot tell you which item to purchase. However, you are correct that The National Center for Home Food Preservation does not recommend using electric pressure canners/multi-cookers for pressure canning because we have no way to know/control the amount (PSI) of pressure in the unit during processing. We always encourage following their guidelines.

If you intend to be doing a lot of canning, consider the jar-load of each unit:
Granite Ware: 7 Quarts/8 Pints
Nesco: 4 Quarts/5 Pints

I hope this helps-
Kate