Houseplant Struggle

I have a painted lady (hybrid) philodendron that is in a basement apartment. It's been in a South-facing window that gets mostly afternoon light and I recently gave it a sphagnum moss pole. I've only had it about 6 months and it has only grown 1 leaf which is the only one left. I keep the soil damp. Is there anything that can be done to save it, or is it destined for death? Thanks

Multnomah County Oregon houseplants

Houseplants commonly struggle due to over or under-watering. Light conditions, temperatures, pests and disease are other problems. Recommendations for Philodendron include well-draining soil. Perhaps you are keeping the soil too damp. Allow soil to dry to the touch. If the plant seems lose in the soil, root rot might have happened. Re-rooting the top of the plant and using new potting soil is an option.
Fact sheet from Clemson University: https://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheet/philodendron-pothos-monstera/