planting spaghetti squash

I have seeds from a spaghetti squash. I want to plant them next year. How do you suggest that I store them until I am ready to plant them next year? Thank you so much! Edgewood MD

Harford County Maryland vegetable storing seeds

If you are saving seed, it is best to grow open pollinated or heirloom varieties. However, there are times when the seed should not be saved.

If the spaghetti squash was a hybrid, the seed will germinate but it will not breed true to the parents.

Also, if you are growing multiple varieties of squash in one area, for example zucchini and spaghetti squash, the current year's fruit will not be adversely affected. However, if you plan on saving seeds for next year, you will not get the same squash the following year because of cross pollination - the seed will not be true to type.

Viability increases when seeds are stored in a cool, dry, dark location. The combination of temperature (F) and relative humidity (%) should not exceed 100.

Marian