Cissus rhombifolia propagation?

Asked November 6, 2019, 9:43 AM EST

Hello! I hope you can help, this plant is driving me nuts. I recently took 4 18-inch tip cuttings of cissus rhombifolia vines for propagation. I stripped the lowest 2-3 leaf nodes of leaves and put them in water. After about 5 weeks there is no sign of roots at all. What is the best way to propagate these plants? There are a few issues I can think of; can you let me know if I’m on the right track? 1. Does cissus rhombifolia propagate more readily in soil than water perhaps? 2. Are my cuttings too long? 3. Perhaps there is not enough meristematic tissue exposed to the water? 4. Do I possibly need to keep them warmer? Thank you for your help!!!

District of Columbia County District of Columbia propagation houseplant cissus rhombifolia

Take a look at the link from Penn State on propagating grape ivy.
Leaf and tip cuttings can be used with water and media. You may want to try both methods. Cuttings should be about 3-6 inches long and have 2 nodes. Remove leaves on the lower half. Place the cutting in a warm location, with high humidity and bright, indirect light. See the information regarding the leaf cuttings.
https://extension.psu.edu/propagating-houseplants

We also checked another reference and tip cuttings were recommended for propagation. Young tip cuttings 3-6 inches long if taken in the spring, will root in 6-8 weeks under suitable conditions. Strip the lower leaves from the cuttings and dip the cut ends in a hormone rooting powder. Plant 4 or 5 cuttings in a 3 inch pot containing an equal parts mixture of moistened peat moss and coarse sand or perlite. Enclose the potted cuttings in a plastic bag and stand in a warm place where bright light is filtered through a translucent blind or curtain. When new growth indicates that the cuttings are rooted, remove the bag and begin to water sparingly, enough to make the potting mixture barely moist but allowing the top inch of the mixture to dry out between waterings. When they are well established, repot the young plants in a standard potting mixture.

Marian