Bermjuda Grass Runners

Asked November 5, 2019, 10:41 AM EST

We have developed a problem with Bermuda Grass in our lawn during the past decade or so. I do not recall its occurrence during the 1980s or 1990s. We live near Burtonsville Maryland. The grass itself is not unpleasant. Rather, the species growing in our yard develops long runners that are apparently apical dominant and facilitate spreading of the plant. I have tried to kill it with the strongest Roundup available, followed by tilling and overlaying the area with sod. The Bermuda grass always recovers and takes over whatever area it grows in. At one point I thought that the plant might be Sedge, but Sedge killer did not phase it. Is there a way to control this plant?

Montgomery County Maryland bermudagrass lawn

Bermudagrass is a warm season perennial grass. It is not easy controlling bermudagrass in a lawn and totally getting rid of it is unrealistic. The best case scenario is suppressing it. However, there are not many herbicides that can be used to selectively treat it. If you are determined to eradicate it, you would need to do total lawn renovation or spot treat using a nonselective herbicide as in glyphosate. This is done in mid to late August. Wait for any new growth, treat again, and then reseed or sod. See more management on our website https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/bermudagrass

Marian