planting lavender

I picked up some end-of-season (but healthy) lavender (no tag, so I don't know what kind) in a size 1 pot. Any chance this will survive winter if I get it in sunny ground soon? Any special treatment for it? Should I omit fertilizer? Give minimal water? Also my soil tends to be acidic; should I lime it? add sand? add egg shell? Is there any other option for it? I have a garden window. Would that be better than planting outside?

Baltimore County Maryland herbs lavender plant care planting lavender in november

It all depends on the weather, which is unpredictable. If you have a very sheltered spot, and the weather cooperates, it is possible it will survive outdoors. We would lean toward wintering it inside and planting it out next spring. It will not be happy, but survival is more guaranteed.

You might want to do a soil test in the area where it will be planted. Yes, they prefer an alkaline soil 6.5 to 7.5. They also don't like clay or organic soils. We would not recommend sand though. Eggshells are fine.

Always water new plants (but they don't like soggy soil). Apply a liquid fertilizer once when you plant.

Ellen

Thank you, Ellen. I will most likely but this survivor in my garden window for the winter.