Pruning Timing

Good afternoon. This past summer, cool days and frequent rain brought considerable growth to many of our yard's shrubs. I have several varieties that require at least a rejuvenation prune if not a hard prune. I know this is typically best done once plants have gone dormant for the winter (December/January). Due to the early arrival of colder temps, do you think it would be okay to start pruning them now? I have Ivory Halo Dogwoods, Red Twigs, Ninebark, Purple Leaf Sandcherry, and Wiegelia that all need attention. I realize I will be cutting off next summer's flowers, but that is a sacrifice I'm willing to make. Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thank you,Jen Trujillo763-972-8103

Wright County Minnesota

The recommended time is usually late Feb or March, before leaf out and after temps are above freezing during the day because the branches won’t be so hard. If you prune now you are risking pruning a shrub that is not fully dormant and stimulating growth at a time when the shrub should be shutting down.