yard alternative to grass that needs to be mowed

Asked November 4, 2019, 10:33 AM EST

I am building a house on a wooded lot and do not want grass that will need mowing and fertilizer, can you make any recommendations? I will have some gardens and have a plan but do need to cover at the areas around the home. The soil is primarily sand They did clear the property and found good top soil that will be spread over the sand. thanks, Kathy

Kent County Michigan

Since your new home is in the woods, I will assume your "lawn" area will be quite shaded. If that's the case, you will find the information in the link below helpful.

Here are a few popular alternatives to grass:
  • Prairie plants
  • Ground Covers
  • Pollinator garden
  • Permeable hardscaping, like paths or a flagstone patio
  • Rain garden
  • Food garden
  • Some combination of the above

Here are some other links that will give you ideas for alternatives to grass:

One of my favorite in this list above is Sweet Woodruff. It is low growing, spreads readily, but has shallow roots if it spreads into an area where you don't want it. It also has a very nice fragrance--one you will notice when it is is bloom with its tiny white flowers.

The landscape is primarily sun, area cleared between house and woods. I will be planting flower / shrub/ small tree beds. The areas between these beds and house will be sun. There is top soil saved when clearing and sand below. I am looking for a low growing grass type material that does not need to be mowed. Any suggestions?

Thank you for the information that you have already sent! Kathy

Here is some additional information for you. While I cannot specifically recommend any of these grasses or suppliers, that doesn't mean they are not good options, it merely means I don't have research-based information on their reliability or the truthfulness of the claims. However, their websites will give you a good idea of what no-mow lawns look like. If you decide to go this route, I suggest you ask a lot of questions from the vendors you contact.

No-mow grass seed mixes are available from some garden centers and online as places such as Amazon.com. You can Google for no-mow lawn grass seed and probably come up with several vendors.