Plant identifications

Have two questions regarding plant identification. The first concerns a flower a friend found growing in the Brunswick area (first attachment). The second is about an alga found in a pond up in Pennsylvania (second attachment); I know many of the common algae but have no idea what this one is. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Frederick County Maryland plant identification algae celosia flowers: annuals and herbaceous perennials microscopic algae

The first plant is one of the celosia varieties.

Can you give us some idea of the size of the second photo algae? A photo with a ruler, penny, or something for comparison is helpful, too.

Ellen

Ellen,

Thanks for the rapid response! I don't know the exact size of the alga, but my guess is that it is between 10 and 100 microns.

Bill

For help with your algae question, we suggest contacting Amanda Rockler from Sea Grant Extension: arockler@umd.edu

Christine