Do I need an appointment

It's been a while since I've used my pressure canner. Do I need an appointment to bring it in and have it checked out? I want to can some pumpkin/squash and I know I can't use my bath canner for that.. so need to bring out the old pressure canner. Thanks Darlene Marquardt 827 N 5th Street Athena, Oregon 97813 541 969-9533 darlene.marquardt@gmail.com

Umatilla County Oregon

The OSU Extension Office in Pendleton (2411 NW Carden Ave., Umatilla Hall, Pendleton) tests canner gauges Monday-Friday 8:00 am - 12:00 pm and 1:00 - 5:00 pm and has a list of contacts for canner parts. Some parts are available at Zimmerman’s hardware and Bi-Mart in town. Call the Extension office directly at 541.278-5403 for additional information.

A statewide list of resources for where to get your gauge tested or where to find parts for your canner can be found on our website: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/mfp (go to the "Where to get your pressure gauge tested" link). The site also has links to food preservation publications, including a detailed publication on Using and Caring for Your Pressure Canner (check out the Publications link on the page above).

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert. Happy Canning!