Scheffelera

I have acquired an old and very gangly umbrella plant. The shoots off of it are very tall...5' or so. How would you suggest I cut the plant back to control growth easier??

Montmorency County Michigan

Hi. The first piece of advice is to go slowly! It is easy to get carried away when the snipping starts. Begin by taking out the branches that are the most ‘gangly’ and sticking out in strange directions. Do this not by pruning the end of the branch but by going all the way back to the stem. Your goal is to get a nicely filled in, bushy plant so prune with that in mind. Only pruning the tips of stems will encourage new growth there, not the interior. After you have pruned a few stems this way take a break and study the shape. In fact, you can stop for a couple days in order to decide on the shape you want. Also, pruning should always be done above a growth node not half way in between two. Good luck!

Thanks for the advice! I appreciate it!!