Asparagus

This is my asparagus bed and a month or so ago I noticed some sprouts dying but not all. Is the rust and will it kill the roots for next year? I have had to put a #9 wire with steel posts around the bed to keep the ferns from falling over and ending up on the ground, some are over 7 ft tall. I included pictures that were taken today 10/27/19

I have read about asparagus rust and if it is rust I should be able to control it next year. I got the asparagus roots (asparabest) from online Gurney's Seed and Nursery.

Rodney Shell

Iowa

Blister-like lesions would be visible on the stalks if the asparagus plants had rust. The lesions are initially green. The lesions turn orange and then brick red in summer. By fall, the lesions have become black.

A diagnosis cannot be made from the photographs. The photograph of the asparagus stalks is a little fuzzy. The presence or absence of lesions cannot be determined.

A plant specimen can be submitted to the ISU Plant and Insect Diagnostic Clinic for diagnosis. Information on submitting plant specimens to the clinic can be found at https://hortnews.extension.iastate.edu/pidc

Fusarium crown or root rot is a rather common problem in poorly drained sites.