checking pressure cookers

Asked October 26, 2019, 6:49 PM EDT

I have about 6 pressure cookers that I inherited from my mother adn grandmother. I know some are missing parts and I don't know if the dials and such are accurate. Where can I go to get them checked and serviced?

Marion County Oregon

1 Response

Gauge testing is available at theh Marion County Extension office by appointment (1320 Capitol St NE Suite 110, Salem - 503-588-5301). You can purchase canner parts at Bi-Mart, Wal-Mart, Fred Meyer, Wilco, or Ace Hardware, and canner gauges are available at United Repair, 1081 Broadway, Salem, (503) 585-4480 and at Wilco. Clear Jel ($4.00 per pound, regular only, no instant) is also available at the Extension office.

A statewide list of resources for where to get your gauge tested or where to find parts for your canner can be found on our website: (go to the "Where to get your pressure gauge tested" link). The site also has links to food preservation publications, including a detailed publication on Using and Caring for Your Pressure Canner (check out the Publications link on the page above).

Thanks for contacting Ask an Expert. Happy Canning!