Re-canning salmon

Hello. I pressure cooked salmon today. After finishing I realized I made a mistake - it's supposed to go for 110 minutes at 10#, I set 1:10 on the oven timer without thinking instead of 1:50. After the fact I realized it. The jars have now cooled off. Do I have to throw all my precious salmon away? Can I start them all over in the pressure cooker? What effect will that have on the final product? Thanks!

Haines Borough Alaska

Hello!
You are not the first person to have done this. Common mistake! And easily remedied if it has been less than 24 hours since you took the jars out of the canner. Just put new flat lids on the jars and re-process in the pressure canner for the correct amount of time (100 minutes for unsmoked salmon, 110 minutes for smoked salmon).

If it has been more than 24 hours, you can put them in the refrigerator and eat within the next few days, or freeze them for long term storage.

The salmon will be double cooked, if you re-process, with the predictable results (a bit drier and/or softer texture) but still great in casseroles, burgers, etc.

Let me know if you have any other questions. You can call me directly in Juneau, if needed.

Thank you Sarah!

Prior to your response I did more online research, and ultimately did what you suggested re-canning it all. My biggest confusion was whether I really needed the new lids, but ultimately I figured the $3.50 box of new lids was worth being sure. Sounds like that was the right thing to do.

I appreciate the service!!