Home garden tomatoes. pressure canned.

Hi, My question would Pressure canned tomatoes from my garden in 2014 be safe to eat. The look perfectly good in the jars. Not sure if i should toss them out or eat them.

Massachusetts

Good Morning,

As a general rule, unopened home canned foods have a shelf life of one year and should be used before two years. My suggestion is to toss the product; I encourage all to err on the side of caution when it comes to food safety.

Several factors limit the shelf-life of canned foods.

• Cans or metal lids on glass jars can rust. When rust is deep enough, tiny holes open in the can or lid that may let spoilage agents in.
  • Can corrosion. Food reacts chemically with the metal container, especially high-acid food like canned tomatoes and fruit juices. Over several years, this causes taste and texture changes. It eventually lowers the nutritional value of the food.
  • Temperatures over 100 degrees F are harmful to canned foods. The risk of spoilage jumps sharply as storage temperatures rise. At prolonged storage temperatures above 75 F, nutrient loss in canned foods increases. Light can cause color changes and nutrient losses in foods canned in glass jars.