Could you help me identify a problem with a pin-oak that displays some kind...

Could you help me identify a problem with a pin-oak that displays some kind of fungus around the base of its truck? This is at my church, Peace Lutheran, 3740 Mayfield Rd, Cleveland Heights OH 44121. We've consulted with an arborist, Bartlett Tree Experts, who recommended that the 65-foot high tree be removed because it poises a problem in that it could fall onto the nearby public sidewalk. They've told us that the tree is damaged within the first 16" of its truck above the ground and cannot be treated to save the tree and eradicate the disease, that they didn't name. I would appreciate a second opinion because the loss of this mature tree would cause our tree canopy to dismiss significant and we don't want to lose it if that's possible. I'd converted their report from a PDF file to separate JGP files one for each page of the 25-page report and attached them.

Cuyahoga County Ohio

I understand your cautiousness and agree that a second opinion would be helpful. I think you can and should ask the arborist already engaged for the name of the fungus so that you can do your own research. I would think they would have an issue with that.

For a second opinion, you will have to contact another aroborist. I would recommend using this search feature on the Internation Society of Arboriculture (ISA) to find a certified arborist. This may provide some quality control for the second opinion https://www.treesaregood.org/findanarborist/findanarborist.

I hope this helps, please let me know if you have any other questions.

Maggie