late planting

Help! $3.00 Knock Out roses at Wal-mart (couldn't resist) and I also have hibiscus and a couple shrubs that I still need to plant. Would it be best to bury them in their pots, mulch and/or cover or should I just plant normally - top of dirt in pot, even with the ground? They have good root systems and are in half gal. and gallon pots. I could put them in my basement. It's cool, but there's not much light. Thank you in advance for any suggestions you have. sherry

Linn County Iowa

My recommendation is to go ahead and plant them. It's likely the ground won't freeze until late November/early December. That gives the plants a few weeks to get established at their new sites before winter. Measures can be taken to help the plants survive the winter. Cover the bottom 4 to 6 inches of the rose canes with soil in mid to late November. Cover the hibiscus (I'm assuming its a herbaceous or hardy hibiscus) with several inches of straw in late November. The shrubs shouldn't need any winter protection.