home compost bin in fall

Hello! The Home Depot staff said to contact you! I have a compost bin that I've been filling all summer with kitchen waste--mixed it in with the leaves I took off of my plants in the spring. But now I'm at the point where there seems to be more yard waste than decomposed leaves, and since there are still portions of food waste, I assume that means that my compost never got "hot" enough to really be good compost. Do I just let it sit over the winter (and not add anymore food waste) and hope it will be ready to use as compost in the spring, or is there something I should add to it, such as accelerant? The bin is about 1/2 full right now. Thanks!

Hennepin County Minnesota

Hi, Congrats on your compost! You usually don’t need to add anything to your compost to speed up the decomposition, especially if you are turning it once in a while. And compost is certainly ok just sitting over the winter. Here is a lot of good information on composting from the U. See especially the section on maintaining your compost: https://extension.umn.edu/how-manage-soil-and-nutrients-home-gardens/composting-home-gardens I consider compost to be black gold for your garden!