Bugs in moss of carnivorous plants

How can I safely kill insects that have nested in the moss without hurting the pitcher plants. What is the best way to keep them inside for the winter? Also, what kind of pitcher plants are the 2 types here?

Baltimore Maryland houseplants

I apologize for the delay in response. My e-mail changed how it classified notifications from Ask an Expert. I am referring your question to our specialists, who will respond to you very soon.

Neith

Good morning. The plant photo #1 (showing the close-up of a pitcher) looks like a Sarracenia minor hybrid (probably the one called ‘Bug Bat’).

Photos #2 & #3: It looks like Sarracenia purpurea in the upper left. The broad-leaved plants are Nepenthes. It would be impossible to identify them without pitchers, and even with pitchers, it is very difficult as so many hybrids are sold.

Since the Sarracenia like a cool to cold semi-dormancy, and the Nepenthes are strictly tropical, it would be good to separate them and grow them in their own containers and in different climate zones. This page provides information about winter care for Sarracenia. The Nepenthes would have to be kept indoors.

We cannot give advice about dealing with insect pests without further information about the type of pests you see -- and, ideally, photos of the insects. Fungus gnats can sometimes be a problem in houseplants if the soil is kept too moist. https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/fungus-gnats-houseplants

Christa