Iwood booring

Hi: I have an insect that was in my basement in a old cedar sign like the old signs at park entrances. The sign was in good shape but I moved it to a different location. What I saw on one side was a hold that had what looked like a cacoon in the sign, I took out the cacoon and there was nothing in it. That night a pill booking insect that was gray and had really big eyes that looked like they were on the top of its head. The next thing I know there are triangle shaped. Then there are long streaks in the floor. There are also holes and then there were big chunks. I have hard wood flooring and that is where the boring is going on. I have never seen the insect and there is no sawdust. What can I do to kill the bug

Pierce County Washington

Without seeing the insect that you first saw, it is difficult to know what insect infestation you may have. Many wood boring insects are in the beetle group. After a female lays egg, the tiny larvae would chew into the wood, making holes so tiny they are difficult to notice. Within the wood, the larvae would be developing through several stages, eating the wood in a tunneling like manner. After pupation, the adult wood boring beetle emerges from the wood by chewing a noticeable hole to the surface of the wood to emerge. I recommend that you visit the website of the University of California for further information about two wood boring beetle species known to infest homes. The link is http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7418.html. The emphasis is on prevention although insecticides such as a borate product could be used. However, given your description of damage to your floor, I would recommend contacting a professional residential pest control service in your area. The employees of these businesses have to be licensed and certified to apply any pesticides. The license is maintained by the requirement to take continuing education courses about integrated pest management and proper use of pesticides. These services have expertise in identifying the insect pest and developing a plan for management that may or may not involve the use of an insecticide.