Fig tree with shoots and strange trunk

I just moved into a new home a month ago that has this beautiful fig tree. I have a couple questions. My first one is that when I moved in there were no shoots growing from the bottom of the tree, however, over the past month they have shoot out tenfold, and it appears that they had cut them prior to according to the way it looked when we first moved in. I believe we should snap them off at the base if we are going to remove them, but is this something that I should do or will this just add to the fruit we can harvest and make a cool Bush/tree? I am guessing that the tree will grow much better if I snap them off. My second question is that it appears to be missing part of its bark on one side of the tree. Not sure if this is an early injury that the tree has recovered from or if it was/is some sort of disease. Is there something that I need to do further to protect the trunk if this is an issue? Also, should I thin some of the branches inside or just leave it be, And what are the typical seasons for pruning? Thanks in advance!

Maricopa County Arizona

The shoots growing from the stem should be cut off or snapped off by hand. The large wound is from a previous injury, probably quite a while ago. It is healing slowly from the edges and there is nothing else that you need to do or can do to speed the healing. Do not thin the branches and pruning is best done in winter.

Wow, thank you so much for the quick response! I’ve been pondering over this for weeks!