A tree I can't figure out.

Hello, I live in the little town of Fairchance and often hike in the Forbes forest. I came across a single specimen of an unusual tree that I am finding difficult to identify near the old Rand powder mill ruins. I was looking for Paw Paw trees in the area and the very large leaves of this tree caught my eye. The simple leaves are all approximately 12 inches long and nearly 6 inches wide, clearly veined, ovoid, alternating, non-serrated and more on the glossy side. The veins are reddish in color (though it is fall). The tree is approximately 30-40 feet tall, it's trunk is about a foot in diameter and the bark is most like vertical strips. I didn't notice any sort of fruit or seed on the tree. I have included 2 photos, one of a leaf and one of the trunk. It is the only one of it's kind I have ever seen up there on the mountain. Any clue what it is?

Fayette County Pennsylvania

A possible match could be a chestnut oak. However, I recommend you contact your PA-DCNR service forester and see if he can tell you. Here is his contact information

Fayette County, District 4: Russell Gibbs (724) 437-7983 rugibbs@pa.gov

Thank you for the effort and information. I contacted Mr. Gibbs and it turned out to be a Cucumber magnolia (Magnolia acuminata).

Great. It's always better to go to a tree person.