When is the best time to transplant roses from a container to the ground?

Hi, I live in Portland..I have two roses that are in plastic nursery but I never got around to putting in the ground. What is the best time of year to do that? Thanks, lisa

Oregon roses

Thank you for choosing Ask an Expert for help with transplanting your roses. This is not a bad time to put them into the ground, but I would do it sooner rather than later. Depending where you are in the Portland area, the soil is probably still a bit warm and just getting to the winter-wet stage. Plant roots do not like going into wet, soggy soil, regardless of the season.

Dig your hole wider, but no deeper than the rose is in the nursery container. You don’t want the rose crown to sink, as soil settles. Loosen the roots, if they are packed tightly in the pot. If left circling the root ball, they may never venture out into the soil for nutrients and water. You can enrich your soil as you plant. Mix the soil from the hole with 1/4 to 1/3 well-composted organic matter or a soil conditioner. Once the rose is planted, give it a layer of bark mulch or arborist’s chips and start your fertilizer program in spring.

Enjoy your roses,