I removed sawflies from my older mugs pine. It is October, do I wait to prune...

I removed sawflies from my older mugs pine. It is October, do I wait to prune the bare branches until spring or do I cut them off now? Will these branches grow back if I cut them off near the tree stem? Should I apply pellet fertilizer now in fall, wait until this spring, or not apply fertilizer at all? Really appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks, ‘Michelle

Muskingum County Ohio

Hello, I'm sorry to hear that your mugo pine had sawflies. I hope they did not do too much damage. When pruning pines, branches do not grow back from the trunk of the tree. Once a branch is removed, it is gone. As for the branches, I am not sure if the sawflies have destroyed the tip of the branch (where new growth occurs). There is a chance that you may get new growth next year. So I would hold off on the pruning until the spring. Also, do not fertilize now, the best time is in the spring. Here is a good article on pruning pines. https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/tree-and-plant-advice/horticulture-care/pruning-evergreens Good luck!

Thank you for the information. I had no idea of what to expect as this is the only time I have had this problem.