Golden Korean Fir - Needles turning yellow and falling off

I was wondering if you might have any advice about a small fir tree that I keep in a pot on my balcony. It is a Golden Korean Fir, and the needles have started to turn brown and fall off. This started in one area of the tree and seems to be spreading. Do you know of any diseases or pests that could affect a fir tree in this way?

King County Washington true fir

I'm sorry to see your tree looking so sad. I have a bunch of questions for you. How long has the tree been in the pot? What is the exposure on your balcony? Full sun, part sun? What is your fertilizing routine? How hot does it get on your deck? The pot is black, and since it concentrates heat, I wonder if the heat may have "cooked" your roots. What has your watering routine been? The fir tree needs acidic soil--do you know the pH? Does the pot have good, free drainage? If it sits in a drainage saucer, does your pot sit in the drained water? Check to see if the tree is rootbound in the pot. Are you in a heavy traffic area? Firs don't do well with pollution. Those are some of the environmental questions I have. Beyond that, there are several fungal and insect problems that can affect firs. Let me know so we can start the "investigation."