Fall Bed Prep

I just purchased a new piece of farm land on sauvie island. it's been a working lavender farm for over a decade, I've had a good chunk of the lavender removed and have had soil testing done, so now I'm looking at preparing the beds. I need to get beds ready for all my fall bulbs but an seeing that for the foreseeable week-10 days we're getting rain, which I'm aware I should not till while the ground is that wet. When is the latest I can safely get my beds prepped/bulbs in? Also, do I need to compost all the beds I plan on planting in the spring before throwing down cover crop, or can I cover crop in to the sandy soil, and then heavily compost/ammend in the spring for spring planting?

Multnomah County Oregon soil bulbs

Thank you for your question. Tonight’s weather report gave a prediction of a respite from the rain, so now’s a good time. You are correct: don’t till soil when it is wet, and don’t walk on it to prevent soil compaction. Certainly you can walk only in rows between the bulb plantings, or use plywood or cardboard to even out the load. This Extension article has other advice: https://extension.colostate.edu/topic-areas/yard-garden/fall-planted-bulbs-and-corms-7-410/ Good luck!