Squirrels destroying my arborvitaes

Squirrels continue to build nests in my tall arborvitae trees leaving openings in the foliage, which is unattractive. I have tried various commercial products to keep them away. I also have been trapping them. Also have tried a fake owl. Nothing works. Any ideas? Would I be better off building nests for them so they don’t chew the branches? Thanks for the help

Macomb County Michigan squirrels squirrel damage

Thank you for contacting Ask an Expert.
It sounds like you are doing a lot to keep the squirrels out of the arborvitae. One thing that came to mind is if there is a bird feeder nearby? This might provide a food source that is motivating them to build a nest nearby.
There are electronic noise makers that emit a sound that is uncomfortable for a squirrel to hear for long periods of time. If you don't have a dog, this might be a solution to consider? I would also recommend upsetting their olfactory senses; did you try animal repellents? It sounded like you might have. Some people recommend hanging a bar of Irish Spring soap as the smell is unpleasant to the squirrels. Trapping is also a good option that you are employing.
I'm out of ideas! I hope something in the response triggered a hopeful thought. Feel free to reply to this thread or to contact me using the information below if you have any follow up questions or comments.
Thank you,
Julie