Compost

Dear Sirs, I live on the Oregon Coast and would like to add compost to a shrub border but am unsure which type would be the best for my sandy soil. I am unable to compost my own due to restrictions where I live (attracting mice, rats etc...). Which bagged type would be beneficial as I have heard that not all types are the same. Thank you K Bottomley

Lincoln County Oregon compost horticulture

Regarding your compost choice for a shrub soil for sandy soils, any compost will add benefit because it will help add organic matter and increase your moisture and nutrient holding capacity. If you are "top dressing" an established bed it is best to use a 1-2 inch layer of coarse, woody compost. To allow proper airflow, it is best not to pile mulch around the stems of trees and shrubs. Pull mulch 1-2 inches away from stems.

A variety of compost and landscape products are sold. If you are buying from a landscape company in bulk, just make sure it's from a reputable source and the compost should be a dark, crumbly texture with a mild odor.