Fall growth of Shiny Geranium

My wooded acre is covered with Shiny Geranium and it is attacking from all sides. I sprayed as best I could last spring with Triclopyr but there is too much ground to cover and the little guys are back now in the fall with a vengeance. Now I will try using the propane torch method where it is possible. Will they flower again before spring or do I have some time to get this done on our dry days this fall? I fear I will kill all the existing ground cover leaving a vacant bed for all noxious weeds to fill in. (At this point I am happy with dandelions!!) I see this as never ending. It is growing on the trees!! Any ideas welcome. Thanks, Mary

Clackamas County Oregon forestry natural resources weeds shiny geranium

I do not think that shiny geranium will bloom again in the fall. Flowering and seed production is known to occur from April-July. Sometimes there is a second flowering season for plants that start late - new recruits regenerated on bare ground stirred by spring weeding - but I have not heard of this in the case of shiny geranium.

From your description, it looks like you are following the best advice we have so far to control shiny geranium, as described in https://www.kingcounty.gov/services/environment/animals-and-plants/noxious-weeds/weed-identification...
It is a very difficult weed to control and it seems to be spreading throughout our area with no end in sight.

Treating shiny geranium in both spring and fall should take care of this year's weeds, and then you have to follow up on the new seedlings year after year. While we do not yet have long-term examples of success, the solution has to include establishing other more desirable plants to dominate the area that was taken over by shiny geranium.

Keep trying and share what you learn with others who are trying as well. Also try contacting the weedwise program with Clackamas Soil and Water Conservation District https://weedwise.conservationdistrict.org/

Thanks for the links. That helps to know it will not try to flower again in the next couple of weeks. I will see what I can attack in between rain storms. I have not given up yet, but the thought of spending this much time every year on one weed is daunting. Give me back my ivy!!??

Best wishes in your battle with shiny geranium.