White fuzz on ornamental peach tree

There is a fuzzy substance that has appeared on several limbs of my ornamental peach tree. I am trying to figure out what it is and how to treat. I have attached two pictures - one of the limb and one of what the fuzz looks like when I remove it.

Jefferson County Kentucky

From the photos you have provided this appears to be San Jose scale. (This scale can decimate members of the stone fruit family - peaches, cherries, plums, etc.) The amount of adults show that several generations have been present, which is why you are seeing a large population now. It looks like there are active crawlers so I would spray the tree with insecticidal soap as soon as possible. Into the winter a dormant oil spray would also be helpful.

I have included additional information in the following link: https://entomology.ca.uky.edu/files/efpdf1/ef204.pdf

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
Email: carol.wilder@uky.edu

502-569-2344
4200 Gardiner View Avenue

Louisville KY 40213