It's a mushroom!

The unknown creature submitted to the central point extension office is a mushroom. How is it possible that with so many experts on staff that no one knew it's a mushroom? I mean I'm no licensed, certified expert, but damn, I recognized it right off the bat even with the lousy footage. Because it's obvious. Cap and stem, right there. With the closer shot you can even see three different shades of colors on the cap. Sometimes I feel the experts over think things and don't see, using common sense.

Jackson County Oregon

Thank you for your comments. I do not know which question you are referencing, but there are liability issues with Extension staff identifying mushrooms. There are over 10,000 species of mushrooms in the Fungus kingdom, some of which are toxic to the point of being poisonous. They are not ‘creatures’ nor plants, and it takes a mycologist with specialized training in the field to get a reliable ID. Extension cannot be an expert on everything; the Oregon Mycological Society is a better resource. That could spell the difference between life and death.