Swollen tree trunk

Asked October 6, 2019, 4:29 PM EDT

Hello, I have a tree in my front yard approximately 2 to 2-1/2 foot diameter at the base and 80 foot tall. The base of the tree is swollen and the bark is separating but I see no obvious insect presence. The remainder of the tree seems to be very healthy. Is there some kind of treatment I can do to the base to ward off problems?

Charles County Maryland

1 Response

We cannot diagnose this from the photos and, because the tree is so close to the house, you need an arborist to determine if it is a hazard tree. An arborist certified by the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA) will also be able to diagnose the problem.

Most certified arborists are associated with tree service companies, but they will usually come and assess a tree at no cost. To find a certified arborist, follow the prompts at www.treesaregood.org

You may find this page helpful on how to decide when to remove a tree: https://extension.umd.edu/hgic/topics/how-do-you-decide-when-remove-tree