soil amendments

I recently moved to Fruita, CO. The planting area in my back yard has landscape fabric covered with wood chips.Should I try to take this up and amend the soild underneath? The soil is very hard probably because it doesn't get water through the landscape fabric.

Mesa County Colorado mulch landscaping landscaping fabric

Thank you for using the Ask an Expert service!

Depending on your planting goals, it is probably a good idea to remove the landscaping fabric, amend the soil, and then utilize a mulch that better suits your needs. It also might be a good idea to get a soil test to determine what the soil may be lacking- to better prepare for what you plan to plant in the area.

You can use this as a guide for selecting mulch: https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/garden/07214.pdf
You can pick up a soil testing kit from the Mesa County Extension office: 2775 US-50, Grand Junction, CO

Unfortunately, landscaping fabrics can sometimes create problems, and in the case of mulch on top- this ends up creating a medium for weed growth above the fabric.

Thanks,