When juvenile pullets to join flock?

I can't put the juvenile chickens with the hens until they're old enough to eat layer feed. How do I know that they're ready for the high calcium content and decreased protein in the layer feed? Do I need to wait until one of them lays an egg? I'm anxious to consolidate everyone in the main coop, because it will be less work - and I don't want to have to buy a second water warmer (winter's coming).

Anne Arundel County Maryland

You should be safe to change to a layer ration by 4 months of age.

Another question:
I have 3 older hens. Two of them seem to be molting repeatedly. The one that's almost 5 yrs old stopped laying and molted at the the beginning of July(!), then again in the fall, and now she's finishing another molt! The one that's almost 3 yrs old molted in the fall as expected, but now shes molting again, instead of staring to lay. (The 3rd older hen has started laying again.) What is going on? Why are they molting now?
Thanks for any light you may be able to shine on this oddly-timed molting,
Monica M.

When hens get old they can do strange things. Molt can be initiated by stress ie lack of feed, water, disease etc.