Substitutes for Water

I’ve been pressure canning beef stew using the recipe from the OSU extension website. In the recipe, it instructs to add water until all other ingredients are submerged, could I substitute chicken/vegetable/beef stock instead of using water? I’m new to the canning world and know that recipes can be critical. I would rather not poison myself.

Douglas County Oregon food safety home food preservation

That is an interesting question because you said you got the recipe from the OSU Extension Website. To my knowledge we do not have a research based tested recipe for canning beef stew. Is this perhaps the recipe from the Ball Blue Book? This is the only tested recipe that we recommend.

If it is then yes, you can use beef/chicken or vegetable stock as the liquid instead of water. I recommend you go to http://extension.oregonstate.edu/fch/food-preservation. PNW 361 Caning Meat, Poultry and Game gives you instructions for canning meats as well as soups.

If you have further questions you can call the OSU Food Preservation Hotline open M-F from 9 am - 4 pm until mid October. The number is 1-800-354-7319.

Please send me your recipe or the link where you found canned beef stew on the OSU website so we can review it.
.

Thanks for using Ask and Expert and also thanks for being safe and and questioning changes in recipes. Sometimes it is ok but sometimes it is a safety issue.

Good luck canning.

Nellie Oehler

That is the Ball Blue recipe so you will be safe to use broth in place of the water. Thanks for using Sak an Expert Nellie Oehler