Fruit and stuff

Hi. We live in Ashland and have a reasonably large garden plot. I would like to run a string of grapes and blueberries. I know the pH of blueberries needs to be between four and five but grapes prefer perhaps 6 to 6.5. My soil has a pH of 6 to 6.5 and I intend to add sulfate containing stuff and re-check the pH in the area of potential blueberry plants in about 3 to 6 months. Over how large of an area for each blueberry plant should I add the acidifying compound. How far apart would you recommend a row of grapes and a row of blueberries be.? thanks a bundle.

Jackson County Oregon blueberries grapes horticulture

An OSU publication, Growing Blueberries in the Home Garden, https://catalog.extension.oregonstate.edu/ec1304/html has important information to help you. from choosing a site, soil requirements and getting your soil to the right pH. It states:: Blueberries require an acid soil, relatively high organic matter content, and good drainage. If your soil is not naturally suitable for blueberry plant growth, you’ll need to modify it before planting. So your planning ahead is wise. Keep in mind that you will be modifying the pH of the soil as the blueberry plants grow, fertilizing and modifying out to the drip line of the plants when mature, which could be 6 feet or more. For that reason plant your grapes several feet away from the expected drip line of the mature blueberry bushes, as grapes require a different acidity level.
You don't specify the type of soil you have, but if it the heavy clay that is abundant in the Rogue Valley, dig up the whole bed, instead of just holes for individual plants, and add the soil amendments to the area you expect the plants to occupy when mature.
Thanks for using Ask an Expert.

Thanks Sharon!