Help with apple identification?

I would like to identify some apple trees growing on Highway 20 in Benton and Lincoln County. Most are probably Malus x domestica, but there are some really odd ones with small fruit. Are they other taxa? Are the self-sown descendents of cultivated Malus x domestica? I have some good photos (including sections of the fruit) as well as two voucher specimens. Can you recommend someone to communicate with about this? I've uploaded photos for one plant. -- Barbara Wilson

Benton County Oregon apples apple identification

Hi Barbara,

We don't have experts to do identification, however the Home Orchard Society has a whole event around just that. You will need to take some samples of the fruit, leaves, and even a small sample of the branch. http://www.homeorchardsociety.org/hos-news/ccc-campus-road-closure-and-directions-to-the-arboretum/ has all of the information you will need, and lucky you - the event is coming up shortly.