Best Time to Plant Vinca, or Alternative Ground Covers

Hi,
I'd like to start a new ground cover bed under some Rose of Sharon trees in my side yard that is mostly shaded, and I'm wondering when the best time to plant vinca is? If I plant it this fall (early October), should I mulch it? Or is it better to wait until Spring (maybe May?) to plant the new vinca plants? Are there other ground covers you'd recommend for a partly shaded area, that would be resistant to rabbits munching on them? Thanks for your help!
Laurie

Adams County Colorado

Depending on the weather, right now is probably still an OK time to plant. I would not hold off much longer though. Spring is also a great time to plant perennials. if you do plant now be sure to give them some winter water if conditions are dry.

Plant Talk Colorado has a great article on ground covers for shady areas which can be found here: https://planttalk.colostate.edu/topics/annuals-perennials/1022-shade-gardens-ground-covers/

I hope this helps please let me know if you have further questions.