Best time and method for planting Dessert Willow (Chilopsis Linearis) in sandy soil

I would like to plant a Dessert Willow when my small yard (10' deep by 25' long) gets landscaped this fall, but I read that in our Zone 5, the ideal time to plant that would be spring. Is that the case?

Also, looking for other xeric small trees that would visually pair well with the Willow, and would provide as much seasonal interest as possible. Considering a Hawthorne, but not sure it would look good in close proximity to the Willow. Any ideas?

Adams County Colorado

You are correct, the very best time to plant trees and shrubs along the Front Range is late-winter/early-spring.

Desert willow is a beautiful plant, however, it will prefer a protected site. The specimens in our demonstration garden die pretty much to the ground each year and them come back from their bases. They still look great, it’s just something to be aware of.

Other lower use water small trees/large shrubs you might consider include; big tooth maple, mountain mahogany, New Mexican privet and Russian Hawthorn. There are a bunch of other options out there as well. A good list of options can be found here: https://extension.colostate.edu/docs/pubs/garden/07229.pdf

I hope this helps please let me know if you have further questions.