I lost 12 mature spruce trees yesterday from my front yard due to spruce bark...

I lost 12 mature spruce trees yesterday from my front yard due to spruce bark beetle. So my tucked-away enclave and wonderful microclimate have been destroyed.  The removal crew ground up as many stumps as they could but a few were not feasible.  A neighbor showed me a bottle of Stump-B-Gone or something like that, which, as far as I could tell, is mostly potassium nitrate.  I read the info available on Wikipedia, but I would like your opinion on whether it is safe to use.  I have pets and I garden extensively, even under the spruce.  Do you have any experience with this chemical?

Anchorage Alaska

I don't know which specific product you were looking up. As an example I looked up this product and label http://www.spectracide.com/products/disease-and-fungus-control/plant-disease-fungus-control/spectracide-stump-remover.aspx
According to this label there should not be any problems with plants or pets. As long as your don't swallow the product, and your pets aren't eating the stump it should be fine. I am unsure from the label if it will work with the cooling temperatures or if it would be best to hold off until the spring. The Potassium nitrate likely acts to speed up microbial degradation of the stump which may slow when it freezes.