What are ways to get free seeds?

Me and a few students at my high school are planning to start classroom gardens so that we can share the produce being grown to students who need it and so that we can promote healthy living. Also, we were thinking to use recycled bottles as our pots to hold the seeds, so that less waste can be out there in the streets. We researched the benefits of plants in our classrooms and we wanted to really continue our plan. We decided that seed libraries would be a good place to start, but we don’t know for sure. We don’t have the budget to acquire seeds, since we have just started, so any advice on getting seeds would be nice and how to grow them in a classroom environment.

Jefferson County Kentucky

You have some great ideas! Recycled bottles that are clean and dry would make excellent seed holding containers and growing plants indoors and out will improve our air quality as well.

I would put your plan on paper and ask local nurseries and garden centers if they have any seed left over for donation. (They may not have any vegetable seed as the season is almost over.) Good luck!

Feel free to contact our office if you have other questions.

Let me know if I can help you further!

Carol Wilder
Horticulture Technician
Jefferson County Cooperative Extension Service
Email: carol.wilder@uky.edu

502-569-2344
4200 Gardiner View Avenue

Louisville KY 40213