Tree Roots?

I am in the process of buying a new home. A sewer scope was conducted and found tree roots growing through and into the pipe. I was informed that a tree was previously on the property and has been cut down; but, the root system of the tree was not excavated. Question: Do tree roots continue to grow underground once the tree has been cut down?

Clackamas County Oregon

If the stump has been ground down the roots will die out. If the stump is still showing signs of life the roots will remain for a period of time before they break down over time. When you see any suckers or any growth from the root of the tree - cut that back. The roots that are in the drainfield may have caused some damage, but at this time it may not be enough to worry about. Long term if the drainfield fails, you can put a replacement drainfield in if the property has a large enough area for it.