Norway Spruce

I just had a Norway Spruce transplanted it is 20 feet tall can you tell me how much and when i should be watering the tree. Thank you I live in Montgomery NY

Orange County New York

Watering is best done after the planting operation is finished. Open the hose moderately, put a board or a rock within the ring of earth, and let the water fall on this and spray outward, thus preventing the concentrated stream from eroding a hole in the fresh earth. Let the water run for three or four hours. Do not repeat until the soil shows signs of drying. this will mean watering--copiously but slowly--once or twice a week...according to the nature of the soil and the kind of weather. Remember, too much water is as harmful as too little. Keep the soil moist but not saturated. Sprinkling and other forms of superficial watering are of little value; they may actually do harm by encouraging the roots to grow too close o the surface. Flooding is similarly of doubtful utility. Since water can be absorbed by the soil at only a certain rate, a great quantity of it poured out in a short time is largely wasted. Most trees eventually perform poorly when improperly watered at the beginning and year round...I can't tell you how many times I have heard of trees dying months, or years later...