Locust Borer and Golden Locust trees

Hi There,

Have noticed Locust borers on property. Know that Black locust trees are susceptible. My question is, are Golden Locust trees susceptible to damage from the borers?

Another question to ask would be what is the actual difference between a black and a golden locust tree

Oregon forest health

So black locust is Robinia pseudoacacia, native to eastern North America. There is a variety of Robinia pseudoacacia that is called "golden locust", and it is popular in horticulture. It may be that...however, the other tree we have is "golden chain" the most widely grown in landscapes is a hybrid: Laburnum × watereri. A cross between Laburnum anagyroides and Laburnum alpinum (from Southern Europe). I think golden chain is much more common

The locust borer (Megacyllene robiniae) is native to the east also, but has been introduced all over the west with black locust The locust borer is specific only to black locust apparently! So if you have golden chain, it should not attack it.

Check the web for identification guides to these trees to verify.

I hope this helps