Hostas

So I have these beautiful hostas and they usually do really well but something is terrible wrong with them this year I'm taking the MSU class and they sent me to you guys I really hope you can help me I don't want to lose anymore thank you

Macomb County Michigan hostas

Hello, It appears that your hostas are being attacked by slugs. If you go on the internet and look up slug damage to hostas, you will realize that you are not alone with this problem. Many of us have these creatures in our garden. On the bright side, even though your hostas look dead today, their roots are still fine and they will be back next year. There are many ways to deal with slugs and I’m attaching a bulletin from MSU Extension which will give you some ideas of what you can do. Timing is critical when dealing with these pests, regardless of the type of trap, either home-made or a chemical from the garden shop. Early spring is the time to act because many slugs are dormant or just eggs. They come out just as the new tender green shoots, their favorite food, begin to emerge. At that time, set the traps near their favorite plants. Empty traps daily. The population of slugs will decrease well into the summer. https://www.canr.msu.edu/news/slugs_are_making_tracks_on_my_garden_favorites