Please identify this plant

I have a plant in my yard that I desperately want to get rid of it. Could you please identify and tell me how to get rid of it.

Kalamazoo County Michigan weed issues plant identification

I can't tell from that photo. Could you submit some additional photos of the entire plant and a close up of the leaves? Is there just this one plant? What is the second photo a picture of?

I'm so sorry- there is not nearly enough information here!

The pictures show a close up of the leaf, and this is an off shoot of the tree. I had cut down the larger tree and have a giant root (circled in red) and a smallish stump (circled in green). I have someone coming to cut the root of the tree off, but I am afraid it is just going to grow back. Any suggestions on how to completely get rid of it? It is directly next to my garage.

To completely get rid of it you would want to cut any off-shoots/new growth that you are seeing and treat the freshly cut stem with a herbicide such as glyphosate and/or triclopyr. Examples of such products include Roundup Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate (glyphosate) and BioAdvanced Brush Killer Plus Concentrate (triclopyr), though there are many others. There is a product with both active ingredients also called Roundup Concentrate + Poison Ivy & Tough Brush. Cut stump treatment directions can be found on the labels of these products.

Triclopyr is often more effective than glyphosate in controlling woody plants, however, it would likely pose a carryover risk if you desire to replant the area within the coming season. Glyphosate does not pose a risk to re-planting once dry due to binding with clay and organic matter in the soil. Use caution with these products as they will kill or injure other plants with which they contact green foliage, green bark (non-mature), or exposed roots. Always read and follow the label when using a herbicide for weed control. Both herbicides may require re-treatment, but due to their systemic nature, they are more effective than attempting to just cut seedlings.

Thank you! Were you able to identify the plant?

My closest guess is one of the serviceberry species (Amelanchier spp.), but with the size of the specimen, I am not 100% confident.